Google Analytics

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Welcoming the Day (repost)

I looked at my alarm clock exactly one minute before it was set to go off this morning. I quickly reached over and turned it off to spare myself from the racket that evil machine makes. I intended to get up at that point, but the room was chilly and the bed was warm. I started to drift. Just as consciousness was slipping away, a comforting noise floated down to me from above. I thought it was a dream at first, but as it repeated I started to come back to my senses. The part of my brain that is obsessed with identification and naming came back online and the sound I was hearing resonated with something in my memory. Before I was even fully aware of it, the words "Band-tailed Pigeon" danced across my mind and then the sound I was hearing became crystal clear.  Recognition of the repeated, deep cooing sounds brought me fully awake in a way that was the complete opposite of what my alarm clock had in store for me.  I did not wake up groggy and annoyed.  I woke up with a smile, feeling at peace in the knowledge that a wild creature was in the cedar tree hanging over my roof, and he was welcoming the day with his version of a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment